Powerful Words



Why are words so powerful? 

Words can be both powerfully uplifting and overwhelmingly discouraging. Words can damage, hurt and destroy, but when used properly, words can encourage and fill people with joy. But how should Christians (who are not innocent) respond to those who speak inappropriately? And just to be clear, speaking inappropriately would include, swearing, telling dirty jokes, gossiping, bullying, using God's name in vain, etc.  This question has been, and continues to be, a difficult question for followers of Jesus to answer. Should I say something or keep it to myself? Should I confront or let it go? Personally, I hear this issue raised all the time from my middle school students, and as always, I am glad that God's Word speaks to the issues of real life. Below, I have provided multiple verses and biblical principles to help you think through this difficult issue.  


Main Verse: “Out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks.” (Luke 6:45)

Swearing: Matthew 5:34-37; Ephesians 4:29; Ephesians 5:5; Colossians 3:8; James 1:26, 3:9-10, 5:12; Proverbs 10:31; Proverbs 21:23

Gossip: Proverbs 11:13; Romans 1:29; 2 Corinthians 12:20; 1 Timothy 5:13-14; James 4:11; 1 Peter 3:10     

Confronting a Christian?  Matthew 18:15-20

What about non-Christians?  Luke 5:31-32; Luke 19:10; Ephesians 5:7-8

A Study of James 3:1-12
Our Words…
1. Reflect our character! (v. 2)
2. Have the power to direct! (vv. 3-4)
3. Tend to be prideful! (v. 5)
Questions to Ask:
1. Are your words ever hurtful? (vv. 5-6)
2. Do you think you can control your words? (vv. 7-8)
3. What do your words say about your heart? (vv. 9-12)

Promise: “I will guard my ways, that I may not sin with my tongue.” (Psalm 39:1)

Comments

Popular Posts